Monday, March 05, 2007

What Makes Me Crazy? "The Perfect Wedding..."

TED & PALLAS DAME, JUNE, 2006, REDMOND, WA
"A truly fabulous couple!

Okay, I'm going to get on my wedding soapbox for a few minutes.

What makes me crazy? It's how the wedding industry markets "a perfect wedding, "a perfect day."

I've seen a lot of "behind the scenes stuff" at weddings and here is what I know for sure: if you're planning your day as a "perfect wedding," you are setting yourself up for possible disappointment.

In this work that I do, it's the imperfections that create a memorable and sweet wedding day. When I hear back from couples that I have worked with, I often hear about the wonderful details of the day - and I also hear about the "snafus" or the imperfections of the day. And these imperfections are many times woven into the memory of the wedding day with a smile, a grin - even laughter.

Why? Because a wedding is a wedding - and as much as we strive to create moments that are breathtakingly poignant and memorable - a wedding also creates moments that are silly, funny, a tad embarrassing and perhaps even odd.

So, two things to consider on your way to your wedding day: 1) a wedding brings up emotional "stuff." Keep your boundaries and prepare for a day that is joyful and perhaps has a few quirks, too. 2) The sweetness is in the imperfections - a wedding day goes so quickly. During your wedding day, create moments just to be and absorb - it's not so much what is said on this day, it's the "feeling" from the wedding day will be your sweetest memory in years to come.

No comments: