Friday, March 28, 2008

What I Know For Sure: A Wedding Ceremony Brings Up "Stuff" - Really!

Brandon & Andrea's Wedding Ceremony, 2007
Snoqualmie Golf & Country Club

What do I know for sure? As I get older, perhaps less and less.


And having done this work now for six years, I offer you this learned wisdom after working with many couples to create and deliver a wedding ceremony - short and sweet or custom and involved.

- A wedding is a ritual of transition. "Stuff" comes up during an engagement to be attended to. Listen, have authentic and real conversations - use your engagement time to go deeper with your Sweetheart. Try not to dampen feelings or "stuff coming up" with wedding planning or by staying busy.

- Not only does "stuff" come up for you, it comes up for your "tribe," i.e., people around you. As one of my brides shared with me yesterday, "My fiancee's Mother doesn't realize it's not all about her!" Recognize "projection" for what it is and be clear with your boundaries.

______________________________________________

Most of all, I know a few things: how grateful I am for this work, how much I love and appreciate my husband and our family of dogs and how honored I am to work with a couple and share in their wedding day. Onward we go!

No comments: