Tuesday, January 02, 2007

YOUR WEDDING VOWS - Traditional, Contemporary...Or Very, Very Unique!

Chris & Ponzi, Bellevue Harbor Club, December 9, 2006

There was no better place for me to be on the evening of December 9th but at the Bellevue Harbor Club to officiate Chris and Ponzi's wonderful wedding ceremony.

Not only was this couple lovely to work with but one of their close friends playfully shared with me that this was the "geek wedding of the year!"

And keeping true to their passion for technology, Chris and Ponzi shared their wedding vows from small laptop computer screens - to the laughter and delight of their 200 happy family and friends! And while it made for a very appropriate and fun presentation of the vows, the content of of the wedding vows that Chris and Ponzi shared with each other was indeed very poignant and beautiful.

Here's what I know for sure about creating beautiful wedding vows:

- There is "no right or wrong." I work with couples of all faiths and traditions and encourage my brides and grooms to share vows that "feel" best for them. And there are many ways to do this - some of my couples write their own vows or I often write and create a unique set of personalized vows for my couples.

- Long or short doesn't matter. It doesn't matter how long or short your vows are. What matters is that the content is yours and yours alone and that your vows reflect your genuine intention and commitment to each other and to yourself.

- Vows don't "trend" like other pieces of a wedding. There are so many "trends" within the wedding industry but one piece that rarely trends are the wedding vows. While I have been upfront and personal to some very unique vow presentations (wedding vows by song, wedding vows in a comic voice), my couples tend to lean toward what I call "traditional contemporary," i.e., a unique blend of wedding vows that are familiar/traditional and comfortable - and often with a twist of uniqueness. Yes, it sounds like a cocktail of sorts but I think you have a sense of what I'm talking about! If not, please email me at anne@annemariejuhlian.com with your specific questions and let's chat.

No comments: